I've just finished making the next release of the Milkyway@Home N-body
simulation. These should start going out soon along with new
searches. The major change in this version is that Lua
is now used for configuration instead of the old static JSON file. You can now script
a totally arbitrary initial particle distribution, and you can run a
simulation without the milkyway background potential, so it's probably
more useful for anyone else to use now for other N-body
This enables more complex models to be fit without a need to make new releases, and avoids a need to mangle the code every time the model changes to support more combinations of features. The current plan is to try multi-component dwarfs, with an extra component of dark matter which will be ignored in the final likelihood calculation.
I've fixed a few other small random bugs, such as in some cases on Windows some system IO error would happen when checkpointing, and there would be a "something something failed: No error" type error message. I'm also using newer BOINC libraries for Linux to hopefully avoid the random crashes which were coming from the 6.10.58 libraries.
I've switched to only using the multithreaded versions using OpenMP for all systems. The 64-bit Windows build is now actually 64 bit as well. Building on Windows is still an agonizing process (mostly getting dependencies and a functioning build environment, not actually building it) I don't understand, but it's getting better.
You can download the source here.